Ages: 9 – 18
Days: Monday, Wednesday, Friday
Dates: July 15 – July 26 (6 Sessions)
Time: 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Showcase: July 26, 3:30pm, at The Zephyr Studio
Instructor: Lena Wolf Rothman
Class Fee: $195
Class Minimum: 4
Class Maximum: 8
Quit throwing your drawings away! Join us for a fun and focused classical approach to drawing and pastel painting. This class teaches techniques that work and build confidence. Foundational skills become the tools to facilitate creative ideas. They become the means to the desired results.
- Students begin in pencil to learn basic drawing skills:
- Drawing what they see
- Drawing with accuracy
- Developing the eye to see spatial relationships
- Understanding and applying tone using a range of pencils to create form
- Understanding the process of developing a drawing from beginning to end
- Introduction to color and pastel using the same concepts as oil but without the brushes, mediums, and messy cleanup.
- The process is as follows:
- Pastels are developed beginning with a charcoal drawing
- Careful attention is paid to the accuracy of the drawing and application of tone
- Color is applied using the understanding gained from applying the tone to their pencil drawings
- Finishing the pastel – working it up to a sense of realism
- In other words, making it ‘pop’ and the viewer saying, “WOW! You did this?”
Lena Wolf Rothman, a classically trained painter who has taught art classes to children, teens, and adults for over 25 years in St. Paul, Minnesota, teaches the class. Rothman’s students have received numerous awards in both the Minnesota State Fair and Junior Duck Stamp competitions.
Please bring the following supplies to the first class:
- 9X12” STRATHMORE DRAWING PAD – #400 Series crème (not bright white)
- KNEADED ERASER – small
- WOOD PENCILS (prefer Castell) – #6H, 2H, HB, 3B
- TORTILLION/ STUMPS (blending tool) – 1 small and 1 medium of the smooth variety
- DIVIDER (measuring tool with needles at tip of each arm – no restriction in the middle)
- SANDING BOARD to sharpen pencils and charcoal, looks like a little paddle with sandpaper
- PASTELS – box of 12 – 24 soft (not oil!) These can be inexpensive square pastels that are between $8 and $14.
- CHARCOAL – HARD (vine), often sold 3 to a pack – 1 pkg.
- Pastel paper provided at no charge.