Ages: 12 – 17
Dates: Fridays – Oct. 11, 25; Nov. 1, 8, 15, 22; Dec. 6, 2019
Times: 4:30pm – 6:00pm
Showcase: Dec. 9, 2019 at The Zephyr Theatre
Class Fee: $180
Instructor: Lena Rothman
Class Size Maximum: 12
CLASSICAL DRAWING & PASTELS
Quit throwing your drawings away! Join us for a fun and focused classical approach to drawing and pastel painting. This class teaches techniques that work and build confidence. Foundational skills are learned. They become the tool to facilitate creative ideas. They become the means to the desired end results.
FIRST HALF OF SESSION
Students begin in pencil to learn basic drawing skills:
- Drawing what they see.
- Drawing with accuracy.
- Developing the eye to see spatial relationships.
- Understanding and applying tone using a range of pencils to create form.
- Understanding the process of developing a drawing from beginning to end.
SECOND HALF OF SESSION
Students are introduced to color. We use pastel using the same concepts as oil but without the brushes, mediums, and messy cleanup. The process is as follows:
- Pastels are developed beginning with a charcoal drawing.
- Careful attention is paid to the accuracy of the drawing and application of tone.
- Color is applied using the understanding they gained from applying the tone to their pencil drawings.
- Finishing the pastel – working it up to a sense of realism.